This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: T5 vs T5 HO vs VHO wha? ???

I have a Current 2x65 W Orbit fixture. I had never really thought about the fan being loud, but it is noticable now that I think about it. I really like my fixture, but maybe that's because I used to have an eclipse system hood on that tank (a 37 gal tall), and this one is such an improvement on that that I don't know any better. I like my fixture because it has built in lunar lights as well. I didn't know much about lighting when I purchased the fixture except that it was one of the only ones that I liked that was 30" long. I don't like the fact that the bulbs are only 24" long. I can say that that is the one thing I would change about the fixture. It works well on my tank though. I have medium and low light plants in there and no CO2, and no bow in the front to light, so I guess that's the difference. I am still using the actinic bulb that it came with too. I eventually plan on changing it out for a dual daylight bulb. But the tank is doing really well, so I hesitate to spend the money when it's not necessary.

Comment

Found a special sale on this interesting (remote programmed control) 6x54W HO T5 fixture with individual reflectors (granted, just two bends in the shape)
      http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1504

Comment

Looks like they have made some nice improvements on that hood. I have an older version on my 72. Looks like that have allocated more space between the lights and given the outer lights enough room so they are no longer half buried in the fixture. They also removed the fan by default to keep it quiet and added the remote control. Still no default hanging ports though. They might pre-drill it for you though if you ask them.

That is a really good price from them for this hood!

I have to say though, even with all the fixes and extra features, it is not a Tek.
        <)))><

Comment

After a long time of using a lowlight set-up with my 30" Coralife PC fixture w/ 1x 65Watt, 21",6700K, I finally replaced it with a Current 30" Sundial T5HO with 4x24 Watt ( 2x regular 6700K, and 2x color enhancing). The fixture also came with 2 integrated timers (for each 2-bulb set of T5HOs) and 2 photo-activated moonlights, all with the need for just one outlet; replacing the Coralifes need for 3 outlets for the fixture and the 2 moonlights I had added independently. I used to only be able to grow swords, anubias, Java fern, and crypts - now I'm growing glosso, and a variety of red plants I could only dream of until now. I'm happy with my switch from PC to T5HO. I'd include pics but my digital needs replacement.
          "Politicians are like diapers. They both need changing often and for the same reason!" - Mark Twain

Comment

current fixture works best for me!

Comment

Working...
            X